Pátzcuaro in Brief
an overlook through the region and its closer points.
Arturo Pimentel Ramos
In a direct line and several blocks down from the front of the Basílica, is found the sanctuary of Guadalupe, whose construction corresponds to the unique architectural style of the19th century. It was completed in 1832 and built by Sr. Feliciano Ramos, who came to México from Havana, Cuba. He was the slave of a Spanish family, and obtained his liberty due to good conduct. He devoted himself to commerce and mule driving, by which he amassed a sizable fortune. To comply with a promise hed made to the Virgin of Guadalupe, he ordered construction of a sanctuary in Pátzcuaro -where he eventually lived- in the place of a previously existing 17th century chapel. Don Feliciano Ramos died May 22, 1830 and was buried in this sanctuary in 1842, after having first been interred in the Basílica.
MOVIE THEATER EMPERADOR CALTZOINTZIN
This buliding was initially an Agustinian convent founded on the XIV century. Later it had different uses , such as county house and jail. After it original distribution was divided to be demolished. Finally on 1936 it was acquired by the federal goverment under de presidency of Gen. Lazaro Cardenas and over it ruins was built the structure we know today.
EX-CONVENT OF SAN AGUSTÍN
(GERTRUDIS BOCANEGRA LIBRARY)
It is said that this building was founded by Brother Alfonso de la Veracruz in 1576 and that the current construction was done by the first Prior Brother Francisco de Villafuerte in 1630. Only the church remains. Elements of the old cloister were used in its construction, as were the three large arches which adorned the cloisters facade and now form part of a movie theater. The church of saint Agustín was converted into the library and on the wall at the back can be seen an interesting mural painted by Juan OGorman. The mural describes the history of the Purhépechas until the Mexican revolution in 1910.
CAPILLA DE CRISTO
(THE ROADSIDE CRUCIFIX) (EL HUMILLADERO)
According to historians, it was in this place that Tanganxhúan Tzintzincha surrendered himself to the Spanish crown, represented by the Maestre de Campo Cristobal de Olid, after whom it is named. True or not, there exists on the site a stone crucifix atop a quarried stone monolith, forming what is known in Spain as a humilladero (the humiliation place), a roadside or public crucifix. This crucifix has an effigy of Christ and the pedestal has inscriptions of great interest, such as the year 1553, which is when don Vasco de Quiroga ordered the project built. On another side appears the coat of arms of the city and on yet another is a beautiful Renaissance-style relief. In the 18th century, the roadside crucifix was covered with the chapel which still houses it and which adopted its name. On the severe facade of the chapel can be seen on both sides of a sculpted quarry-stone crown, the images of the sun and the moon a manifestation of the old religion of the Purhépechas. In addition, the interior houses a collection of rare and interesting oil paintings.
CHAPEL OF EL CALVARIO
This chapel was built by Brother Marcos Ramírez de Prado, Bishop of Michoacán, towards the end of 1666, as indicated by an inscription found in the shaft of the tower. According to an old tradition, the chapel is built upon the pyramid containing the
remains of Tariácuri, the distinguished Purhépecha chief.
|Coat of arms|
|Fairs and fiestas|