TEMPLE OF SAN JUAN DE DIOS
The religious members of the hospitable order of San Juan de Dios founded its conjoint church (temple, hospital, schooll and convent) in this city in 1672. Halfway trough the 18th century, don Pedro de Ibarra, a prominent member of the community, left a large sum of money and several pieces of real estate for the maintenance of the hospital, which still exists (although with other sources of income), and is now known as the Dr. Gabriel García civilian hospital.
This is located at number 16 Ponce de León Street. It calls attention to itself mainly by the marks on its doors, which are very well-worn from use. In this house was the royal customhouse, which was verified by a little label, half-erased by time, that was legible among the decorations of the smaller door. Unfortunately this label was stolen, depriving the public of an important piece of information.
CONVENT AND TEMPLE OF SAN FRANCISCO
Pátzcuaro was one of the first places where the Franciscans established themselves inside the lacustrine zone, due to its importance as an Hispanic population center. We do not know the exact date of the founding of the convent, but the Franciscans own historians affirm that this was the fifth convent of the province of Michoacán, established by brother Martin de la Coruña, one of the first twelve Franciscans to arrive in New Spain. However, is known that it was already here when Vasco de Quiroga moved the Episcopal see of Tzintzuntzan to Pátzcuaro, and therefore assumed to be the oldest convent and temple in the city.
TEMPLE OF THE HOSPITAL OF SAN FRANCISCO
This is located at the intersection of Ibarra and Codallos Streets. It opened its doors in 1545, together with the temple of the convent of San Francisco, forming part of the hospital which has now disappeared. Christian doctrine was taught there and holy sacraments were administered. Natives were charged with cleaning, maintaining and decorating the church when necessary. The objective of this hospital was similar to that of the hospital of Santa Marta, founded by Vasco de Quiroga and was, in turn, later imitated by the hospital of Santa Catarina, founded by the natives in the neighborhood of San Agustín.
|Coat of arms|
|Fairs and fiestas|